Monday 11 April 2011

Roller coaster animation ride and rationale



Thi is my roller coaster animation ride created on 3ds max. Overall i am fairly happy with the outcome. I learnt new things as i was creating this incuding texturing and modelling. In addition i gained knowledge into creating objects and making them move.


My main intention was to create a scary roller coaster ride which would display new techniques that I had learnt from the online notes and tutorials. I wanted to create a fluid piece of animation which seemed effective and would make the viewers feel in slight discomfort.

The methods I used to develop my ideas were mainly drawings and brainstorming. Additionally, I found videos that inspired me of roller coasters and also found images of a horror nature which gave me more ideas.

The risks I took during this project were that I had limited skills in using 3Ds max. I felt it was a big step up from the previous project in DP1. I felt that the main risk I took was creating something I that i believed I couldn’t make; so having no belief in myself!

On numerous occasions, 3Ds max would randomly crash and corrupt my work meaning that I would have to redo part of my animation. Despite this being a problem, it was good in the fact that I was able to practice and make certain props appear better.

Also, I found it difficult to create effective lighting. Therefore I looked at various tutorials online which helped me a lot.

In order to overcome these problems, the majority of the time I looked at online tutorials as I found them the most helpful. Also, I asked fellow students if they could give me tips on how to overcome the problems.


During this project I have learnt that it is important to plan my ideas in depth and use drawings in order to create ideas for the roller coaster and scare scenes.

In terms of skills, I learnt how to add textures and materials on objects to make them look realistic. Furthermore, I managed to use cameras effectively and applied lighting to give a haunted experience for the viewers.

Adding sound effects in time to the animation was also a skill I learnt. I found it hard to make the two sync and look professional but felt that overall I gave it my best shot.

If I had more time, a definite improvement would be in making more scare scenes and creating more appealing props. In addition, I would spend more time finding realistic materials and textures to make objects/scenes more realistic. I would create a new building for the roller coaster to be in as I believe that the building used was fairly generic and didn’t leave much room to experiment in.
From completing this project, I intend to create a new roller coaster with completely new scenery and scare scenes using more realistic textures and materials. I also aim to expand the scenery making a more in depth animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment